Flatbread with Arugula, Prosciutto, Mango
The combination of sweet mango and salty prosciutto makes a lovely—and surprising—pairing. If you’re pressed for time or just feeling lazy, you can buy readymade flatbread and focus your energy onthe toppings.
For the Flatbread Dough
For the Herb Oil
(Makes 1 cup)
For the Caramelized Red Onion
1. To make the flatbread dough, in the bowl of a standing mixer fitted with the dough hook, mix the flour and salt until thoroughly incorporated, about 1 minute. Meanwhile, place the yeast in a small bowl and whisk in 1 cup warm water, then 3 tablespoons of the oil. Let the yeast rest until it begins to foam, about 10 minutes, then pour into a well in the center of the flour.
Mix the flour and yeast solution until well incorporated. Add the cold water to the flour and mix again, until the dough pulls together in a single, unified mass.
2. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and begin to knead, working the dough with the heel of your hand. Push outward and pull the inside edge over the top. Repeat the process over and over to create smooth ball of dough, free of stickiness. This should take 6 to 8 minutes.
Brush a clean, stainless-steel bowl with the remaining 1 tablespoon oil and put the ball of dough in the bowl. Cover with a clean cloth and let rise at room temperature until it has doubled in size, about 1 hour.
3. Meanwhile, make the herb oil: In a small bowl, whisk together the oil, rosemary, thyme, basil and garlic. Season with salt and let sit for at least 1 hour to let the flavors develop. (You can also use a blender.)
4. To make the caramelized red onion, heat the oil in a medium sauteÅL pan
over low heat, then add the onion and season with a little salt. Cook slowly
until the onion is caramelized and slightly sweet, 15 to 20 minutes.
5. Divide the dough into 8 balls. (The balls of dough can be individually wrapped in plastic and frozen for up to 2 months.) With a rolling pin, roll each ball into an oval shape. Brush with herb oil, sprinkle with salt and grill on both sides until marked. Cover each grilled flatbread with prosciutto slices and top with the cheese shavings and mango slices.
6. In a small bowl, season the arugula with salt and pepper, then toss with the honey balsamic reduction and herb oil to taste. Mound the arugula on top of the prosciutto, mango and cheese. Add the caramelized onion and basil and serve immediately.