In Country with Rocklands Bird Sanctuary
A DAY IN THE COUNTRY WITH ROCKLAND BIRD SANCTUARY
• Duration: 6 hours
• Days Available: Mondays & Thursdays
• Bus Pick up times: Riu Hotels - Negril: 8:30 AM; Grand Palladium Hotels: 9:15 AM; Royalton White Sands: 09:00 AM, Rose Hall Resort: 9:30 AM; Montego Bay Hotels: 10:00 AM
• Dress Code: Shorts, Sneakers / Sandals
• What to Bring: Towels & Camera
• Meals/Snacks Included: Lunch
• Meal/Snacks Description: Jerk / BBQ Chicken served with Jamaican rice & peas and Cole slaw
• Beverages Included: Yes, non alcoholic
• Beverages Description: Spike (Ginger) Jamaican Fruit Drink
• Items not included/ Additional Costs: Souvenirs on sale
Bilingual Tour Guide is included where applicable.
Detailed Description of Excursion:
Drive through the mountainous interior west of Montego Bay for a visit first to the Rocklands Bird Sanctuary, home to a variety of exquisite birds from Jamaica and migrant birds who have flown thousands of miles to feed here. These birds are unbelievably friendly and have no fear of humans. Feel the thrill as hummingbirds fly around you, and perch on your finger to feed. Get up close to the endemic Red-billed Streamertail and Jamaican Mango, then take a guided walk in the woods to experience and learn the history of this nature lover’s paradise.
Then continue your journey to the village of Lethe, to board a 30-foot bamboo raft for a breathtaking ride down the Great River. The raft captain explains the flora and fauna while you glide gently down the river and through the valley with its awesome gorges. At the end of the raft trip, board a tractor-drawn jitney (hayride style) and travel to a small banana and pineapple plantation. Driver will give you a tour of the plantation and explain some amazing facts about the banana plant.
Then proceed to the "Green" to see the barefoot climbing of a 75-foot coconut tree. After watching this incredible sight and sampling the coconut water and jelly, you will be escorted to the liqueur shed to taste liqueurs of Jamaica. You will also be offered a complimentary drink of Pina Colada. The Pina Colada is made directly from the coconut meat and you will be shown how to make it at home.
A hot country-style barbecue lunch with fruit drinks is served before you return to your hotel.