Seville Heritage Park & Great House
Seville Great House is symbolic of the English period. After the capture of the island in 1655, New Seville was abandoned by the Spaniards. The English divided up and allotted the land to victorious officers and other soldiers. The city of New Seville became the property of one Captain Hemmings, thus becoming Seville Estate. In 1745, Hemmings’ grandson built the great house on the site of the original house which was built at the end of the seventeenth century.
The house originally had of two storeys. However, the top storey was blown off by hurricane, about 1898, and it was never replaced. The structure is of wattle and daub construction with timber floors and English tiling. The doors of the building are of solid raised panel mahogany. The windows are mainly sashed, with later modifications, including jalousies. The interior of the house has mahogany arches, which separates the living and dining rooms.
There is veranda, enclosed by a set of square wooden columns, along the entire northern end of the building. It was designed to provide adequate ventilation and sunlight, as well as privacy. There is a projected entrance portico, which forms the landing for separated cut stone steps. The roof finish is of cedar shingles and the floor has a stained timber finish.
This site is now operated as a heritage attraction.