Now over 25 years old, UWIDEF has provided scholarship assistance every year to a wide cross-section of academic fields. These have allowed many students to attain tertiary education-who, without this assistance, would not have been able to do so.
The needs are great. In addition to academic scholarships, UWIDEF has also provided Food Grants to students who are unable to purchase a daily hot meal.
Please consider contributing to this program. Named scholarships are also possible. Please visit our website for more details.
In addition to scholarships, UWIDEF provides assistance to the UWI’s Teaching Hospital -- the UWI Hospital. Generous assistance has enabled UWIDEF to make a gift every year to fund vital equipment and supplies urgently required by the hospital in many departments including:
UWIDEF also funds important medical, scientific and economic research.
• Grant funding for important research in diabetes, hypertension and stroke to the UWI SODECO (Solutions for Developing Countries)
• Assisted the Department of Medicine to become a member of the Global Virus Network (GVN) to allow for international collaboration in the study of viruses such as Chic V, Zik V and H1N1.
There are numerous projects that UWIDEF has funded on the Mona campus to improve the welfare of students in particular and the community in general. Some of these include:
• The UWI Sickle cell unit
• Restoration of classrooms
• Improving library equipment
• Assisting in the development of a unit for those students challenged with mobility, sight and hearing
• Helped restore the UWI (Mona) Chapel