Being on a waitlist is no way to start off your holidays. Who wants to start off a vacation being uncertain about your transportation plans?
If your trip to Jamaica includes a vision of you driving around our stunning island, setting your own pace while experiencing the warmth of the sunshine at the beach or driving along a misty mountain road, you could be making the mistake of throwing your entire trip off schedule if you haven’t taken the simple steps to make sure you’ve got a confirmed booking for a rental car.
If you’ve ever experienced a vacation when you had to wait upon arrival at the counter to find out if you had a rental or not, you know how frustrating that can be. Not to mention that aside from your vacation starting out on a sour note, you may miss whatever you have planned for your first day simply because you didn’t plan ahead. Missing one thing may mean missing another or having to compromise and, next thing you know, your dream vacation doesn’t unfold quite the way you had hoped.
Not to worry, here are a few pointers from Island Car Rentals that may help you plan your car rental to ensure your pick up is as smooth as possible, especially during the busy peak season. Peak seasons in Jamaica start from around December 10 right through to the first week in the new year. Another high point is right before and after Easter and also at least two weeks before the Jamaican Independence/Emancipation holidays which occur during the first week of August.
1. Book months in advance. Once you are fairly confident that you will be making a trip you can get immediate confirmation when you book online at islandcarrentals.com. Even if you have not decided exactly when you are arriving at least put a date in. In that way, when we are monitoring our numbers, your booking will already be in before the close-out date. You can always change the date of your arrival when you have your flight details confirmed. If you are unable to make the modification online simply call any of our reservation numbers listed on our website.
2. If you are going to need specialized vehicles such as minivans it is even more important to make an early booking.
3. The probability of actually getting a vehicle is greatly increased if your booking date is not too close to the main holiday dates such as December 25 and 26. Of course, this is not always possible nor practical but if you can make it work for you, the earlier the better.
4. Once you have been told you are on the waitlist, keep in touch with our reservations department as sometimes certain categories are reopened and they can advise you of the situation. Sometimes they even manage to change a reservation from unconfirmed to confirmed.
5. On arrival if you are still unconfirmed, be prepared to accept a downgrade. You may have had your heart set on a luxury Honda Accord or Toyota Camry but they are all booked out. Be practical. Bearing in mind the number of persons you have in your party, if you can get going without much discomfort in a mid-sized Toyota Corolla or even the compact Toyota Yaris, take it. You can always request that an exchange be done if your preferred choice becomes available while still on the island and you have many more days to go in your vacation.
6. Similarly, consider paying a little more for an upgrade if that’s what is available at the time. You’ll get on your way faster and you may even be able to get a deal on the upgrade, if you are willing to bargain.
7. Become an Island VIP. Generally, we try to accommodate our VIPs. Learn more about how you can earn one of our loyalty cards by reading up about it on our website.
© 2019 Jamaica Experiences All Rights Reserved